Friday, August 17, 2007

Now that it's percolated a bit

Yesterday when I went to the barn for my management class, there were several of us standing around out there, just bsing and waiting for an instructor to show up and tell us what was going on. Well, no instructor showed up, because they canceled that class till Monday, and forgot to tell us about it. No big deal, really.

So anyway, we're standing there bsing and one of the girls that I haven't formed a complete opinion on yet is sitting in her truck, with another girl in the passenger seat. They're near where we're gathered, so they're included in the conversations, somewhat.

When the talk died down a bit, one of the girls in the truck looked at me and said "do you want to see my bat?"

Huh?

She pulled an aluminum bat from behind her seat, and informed me that this was her protection.

I blinked a couple of times and said "ok then."

She proceeds to inform me that if someone is following her to her truck, she has the bat there waiting for her.

Having assessed her attitude and her Billie-Jo Badass impersonation, I didn't explain to her that if she was in danger, the worst place in the world for her chosen form of protection to be would be in the truck behind the seat.

I simply snorted in a very ladylike manner, and told her "That would be why I have a gun."

I don't know what was more amusing, the fact that girl #1's eyes immediately dropped to my hip to look for my gun, or the fact that her "friend" felt it was necessary to take the bat from her and start brandishing it inside the truck.

And girl #2 proceeded to proclaim that she wanted to find some "niggers" and "beat the crap out of them."

Then she looks at me and says "Sorry, I'm racist."

My brain was saying "well at least you know you need to apologize for it."

But, my mouth continued in the conflict avoidance plan that I had formed before classes started, and just said "fantastic," in a flat tone and I turned back to the rest of the people I'd been talking to.

I have no doubt that conflict won't manage to be avoided forever, but I don't want to start a fight. Especially not at the barn.

That girl did, however, win herself a place on my list of people that I just don't deal with unless I have to. She's in my classes, I can't avoid it entirely, but she won't be one of the people that I hang out with.

I'm sure that just breaks her heart, too, but the conflict avoidance plan prevents me from smacking her upside the head and telling her that she needs a cranio-rectal extraction.

10 comments:

William the Coroner said...

Farmgirl

The older I get, the better I've learned--it's best to keep my big yap shut. I rarely regret what I HAVEN'T said.

Kate said...

I agree with William. I've learned that I really don't care for the taste of my foot in my mouth.

But, why did she feel the need to show you the bat in the first place? Did it have something to do with the conversation she was listening in on?

FarmGirl said...

Nope, it was just kind of random. If I could have found a connection to something in the conversation, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know ya'll had racists in Colorado. I thought most of the rest of the country accused Southerners of being racist.

If her introducing the bat into the equation had nothing to do with the situation, it could be she took a disliking to you. Some people are pretty notional that way. I wonder how anti-social some people really are and in her case, the shoe seems to fit.

"I have no doubt that conflict won't manage to be avoided forever, but I don't want to start a fight. Especially not at the barn."

I'm not advocating starting the fight, but I recall someone once said "don't ever sidestep a fight; choose the time and place." It helps when you know who the enemy is too and it sounds like you know that now.

Sounds like you have 'em somewhat confused about your sidearm though. From what you said, they sound like they must wonder "if I can't see it, where *is* it, *or_is* it?" All I can say is keep 'em guessing.

mustanger

FarmGirl said...

Mustanger.. I don't think she dislikes me, more that she just likes seeming to be a tough girl type.

As for little miss racist she's from Las Vegas.

And they were/are confused about my gun, because I didn't have it on me at the barn, it was in my car.

Horses/the kinds of things you do at the barn + gun = a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt accidentally. I don't want to get dumped and land on it, or jar it against a stall/panel and have an accidental discharge (I'm anal about having the safety on, but shit happens.)

Pop said...

Hi, Farmgirl;

My 2 cents worth - it would be better if they didn't know you carry. About 10 minutes later, everybody else will know, too.

Best regards,
-Pop

FarmGirl said...

Pop, I don't really care who knows on campus that I carry. Most of the situations that I carry *for* will be avoided simply by people knowing that I have a gun on me. i.e. rape (unlikely in my small college but we get students from all over) etc.
I'd rather avoid the whole schmear than be secretive about the fact that I carry and *have* to use my gun.

The situations in which it is a tactical advantage to have no one know that you have a gun.. well, most of those aren't likely to occur on campus.

Farm.Dad said...

Well i guess that is a couple of little twits that i dont need to worry about coming out to the place to play then lol .

Anonymous said...

"I don't think she dislikes me, more that she just likes seeming to be a tough girl type."

Farmgirl, I think you're probably right. I don't know why it is, but it seems like a high percentage likes to talk smack. I can talk it too and I see you giving some examples too. Thing is, *they* don't seem to realize that's not really a good way to get people to like you.

"As for little miss racist she's from Las Vegas."

I'm not familiar with the LV demographics to know why. I don't think it's an excuse knowing what I know about bigots. I'm not accusing you of thinking so either. I think it's mostly that I pictured LV as more of a mob town.

"And they were/are confused about my gun, because I didn't have it on me at the barn, it was in my car."

That could be another very good thing.

"Horses/the kinds of things you do at the barn + gun = a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt accidentally. I don't want to get dumped and land on it, or jar it against a stall/panel and have an accidental discharge (I'm anal about having the safety on, but shit happens.)"

This reminds me of...

1- There have been cops who injured their backs because the fell flat on their back while wearing their duty belt with the handcuff case at small-of-back. That's why some cops, instructors, and gun writers will tell you s.o.b. carry is a bad idea. (As always, this ain't one size fits all.)

2- I see what you're saying about keeping the safety on and how things can go wrong. And those Firestar pistols don't have the M1911A1's grip safety either.

3- I generally read Sheriff Jim Wilson's collumn and articles in Shooting Times. I recall him saying his preferred handgun for working ahorseback is a single action revolver... a Ruger as I recall. Carried in a different position and in a secure holster and it may be safer in some respects. I'm not saying things can't still happen, but to me it seems less likely to.

Now, as to who knows vs. who don't know and the tactical advantages, I think those who know aren't going to be the ones who'll try it. Those who don't know... well, I'd say cross that bridge when you get to it... hopefully never.

mustanger... again.

Dan O. said...

Girl #2 sounds like a bully. She won't be around long. Especially if everyone else around just then picked up the same vibes you did as far as zero unnecessary contact with her.

She'll get froze out and won't have anyone to work with. Plus bullies and hard work don't usually go together. They think they can bully someone else to do it for them.

At least that's how I see it, for what it's worth.