Sunday, July 10, 2011

Make Your Own Ego-Space

I just did something that I hate doing. I deleted a comment. With all of the bloggers who delete comments because they disagree, or make them look bad, I turned on verification to get rid of the auto spammers and went on with it.

However, on my last post, an anonymous commenter posted a series of urls claiming to know the truth about 9/11.

Here's the thing. They got past the verification which means chances are it's a real person. Which means someone decided to hijack what small popularity I have in order to spread their personal message.

They also decided that my blog, which I try very hard to keep fairly apolitical, would be the proper venue for this.

Look. You have an agenda and that's great. You have a firm belief in that agenda, so good for you. But this is my little ego-stroking corner of the internet, not yours.

Yes, I deleted your comment. I didn't even look at any of the links, and I frankly don't care if you have pictures of George Bush getting reamed from behind by Osama Bin Ladin, or if you're a crackpot. This is my blog and I don't appreciate others using it to further an agenda without permission.

So get the hell off my lawn, and get your own space, goddamnit.

9 comments:

Crucis said...

FG, I did the same a month or so ago. Someone was cruising blogs, mine, NFOs, some others commenting with links to his personal quirk. Now my blog is political. I don't mind if there is opposing views as long as they're polite, to the point and include sources to support their views.

This character just posted trash and made Ron Paul and the tin-foil brigade look like choirboys. So, I zapped him and put moderation on for a few weeks. He made one further attempt and then went away.

It's your blog and your rules. Don't feel bad by dumping a parasite.

John Peddie (Toronto) said...

Good move.

There's another aspect to this too:

Do readers who read your comment section really want to see that stuff?

If they want to read that kind of thing, they can find it elsewhere.

My guess is that most of your readers don't want to see it, or they wouldn't come visit here in the first place.

Peter said...

Fold, spindle and mutilate spam commenters! They deserve nothing less!

Jon said...

They're like stray racoons. You allow them a little space and you find they've turned your kitchen into a disaster zone.

Kristophr said...

He has his own space.

But no one ever goes there. Because he is a loon.

When the loons figure out that people are avoiding them, they start invading other folks venues to get attention.

Old NFO said...

Crucis said it for me :-(

Jay G said...

If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly the same thing. Spam-bots get no love, period.

Jennifer said...

Good for you. Your space, your rules.

phlegmfatale said...

Hear! Hear!

Give 'em hell.