Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day Two, Smoke Free....

Well, since I seem to be absolutely determined to be evil to myself, I decided this morning not to put a new patch on... I left yesterday's on until I started getting antsy... and then took a little bit of a nap. Woke up still antsy, so, I had some chocolate.

I may owe at least half of my quitting smoking to these little guys. More specifically, the peanut butter eggs.

Oh, and Hershey's kisses, and Dove milk chocolate eggs... it's a very cheerful bowl sitting always within arm's reach, all pastels and little cartoon bunny faces.

Doing all right now, although some of the physical symptoms (hot, then cold, then slightly nauseous, mild headache) are back. The headache goes away with Advil, the rest of it, well, none of it is so bad I can't deal with it... maybe my appetite is off for a few days. I may decide to get the step down on the patch and go ahead with it, we'll see how I feel in a few hours when the remnants of the last patch get out of my system.... Or, I may decide to go ahead and quit it all.... or I may figure out that I'm an idiot and put one of the big patches back on.

I don't know yet... but by gawd I'm going to lick this thing if it kills me. Coming up on forty eight hours without smoking... I'm pretty impressed with myself. I'll be more impressed when I can say forty eight hours without nicotine, but that may be a ways away.

The longer I've gone without lighting up, the easier it's been to not light up. Had the urge a few times today, and I leaned pretty heavily on the cig (un-lit) that I've been mauling since ten yesterday morning. Let my body go through the motions, but not get what it's wanting out of it.... it helped a lot with the nervous twitches yesterday, and seems to be helping today with the complete lack of nicotine. I've noticed that I'm "dragging" on it more today, whereas yesterday it was more just holding it... and even that is starting to ease off as my body seems to figure out that it's not working the way it used to.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, weird post, but I promised updates. I'm not sure where Mamaw is at today, or Farmmom, but that's where I stand.... Hopefully over the hump and on the downhill side.

10 comments:

Pappy said...

You go girl! I have faith in you. Now after you've been nicotine free for about a month I may be looking for you to give me encouragement.

I may try quitting again for the umpteenth time.

Snigglefrits said...

I cut drinking straws to cigarette length and chewed them until they were nasty globs of plastic. It helped and I was never tempted to light one of them. ;)

Good luck FarmGirl. By what I've read here and what others have said about you, I KNOW you CAN do anything you put your mind to doing.

Anonymous said...

What helped me was staying busy.I am going on 5 weeks of not dipping after 33 years.http://wonderfuladventureofbudd.blogspot.com/

Old NFO said...

Hang in and hang on FG! One day at a time, but each day makes it easier!

GeorgeH said...

Ignore the directions on the patches or gum and use as many as necessary to kill the desire for a cig. That is what really works.

MaddMedic said...

Did it. It is tough, really tough. Sunflower seeds, toothpicks and ice water. 20 years ago now. Go for it!!

Christina RN LMT said...

Woo-HOO! Keep it up, FarmGirl.

Robert Langham said...

A hard fight to get clear of that but here's hoping you come out on top.

If not, gear up and do it again.

misbeHaven said...

I'm a couple days late, so it looks to be closer to 96 hours now! You go, girl!

jumblerant said...

Good luck Farmgirl it sure ain't easy. 3.5 years on I could start again in a snap but then I remember;

1. The damage done to your fluffy pink lungs
2. The damage done to your purse with the cost of a packet a day
3. It's easier to breathe / exercise / exist without 'coffin nails'
4. (and my favorite) I'll be buggered if I'll pay someone to keep me addicted to something!!

Keep up the good work.