Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall/Winter

I hate the cold. Ya'll have heard it before, and you'll probably hear it again.

That being said, without the cold, you don't get the leaves turning red and gold, showering down on the world like a gift from a benevolent universe.

You don't get those crisp mornings, when the sky is so blue it hurts your eyes, but you can't stop looking at it.

Or the chilly nights, when you can just see your breath on the air, and you look up, and eternity is spread out for you. The sky so deep you'd think you could dive in, and swim among the stars. The moon so bright and clear you want to talk to that smiling face.

Today, it was frozen hell. Tonight, from the safety of my nice warm house, the sky is beautiful. The stars look so close, I want to reach out and grab them, and roll them around in my hands.

You don't get nights like this, without the cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my 64 years I have experienced what you describe many, many times. However, I don't think I have ever heard it described quite like what you did. That was superb.

Another near indescribable sight that comes with almost intolerable cold is on a bright, clear, moon-lit night with snow on the ground. The cold air has almost freeze-dried the snow and it looks as if God himself threw silver sprinkles all over on top of it.

Christina RN LMT said...

Beautiful.
We don't get nights like that here. Not because it doesn't get cold enough (it does), but because of the city lights. One hardly ever sees the stars. I'm living in the wrong place.

Anonymous said...

You're right. The stars and moon are not really revealed until it's cold.

Where I live, a half dozen freezing cold nights is a usual supply for winter. Snow is a rarity and it rarely sticks, even when it does snow. So, I still regret not taking a walk on a full moon night after a heavy snow. I probably missed a once in a lifetime chance.

I'll trade you one night in the middle of hurricane Ike for ten minutes of a cold beautiful mountain night. It's a bargain.

Jon

Mark said...

This is beautiful poetry you should post this on a few poetry boards.